The System Administrator is responsible for planning, configuring, installing, maintaining, and securing the City’s network infrastructure and Data Centers to include server farm, storage network, virtual infrastructure, security and telecommunication systems. Develops and implements policies, procedures and standards to ensure their conformance with Technology and the City’s objectives. Responsible for determining and recommending solutions and the procurement of software and equipment consistent with the City’s system needs. Assists in project management as assigned, provide excellent service and support on technology needs to user base and management, and work closely with technology team and City Departments under the general supervision of the Technology Director.
- Provide Network Management and Database Administration to all City facilities to include efficiency, data retention, systems “backup and restore”, disaster recover, and routine systems maintenance to increase availability and reliability enhancing business continuity.
- Assist with systems design and assess technology resources effectiveness on existing and future technologies. Determine practicality of change and modification by following change management processes.
- Ensure overall security from egress to end point devices to include remote connections.
- Perform and coordinate various installations and supports for communication equipment and services at all City facilities including switches, hubs, routers, firewalls, cabling, voice and data circuits, wireless, phone systems, audiovisual equipment, signs, server hardware, mobile units, workstations, and peripherals.
- Wire networks cabling, climb into attic space, crawl space, and/or on ladders to reach devices.
- Provide routine reports of various types on system performance and efficiency.
- Work with consultants, other agencies, etc. on integration, implementation, upgrades, and access.
- Provide user technical support and training with excellent customer service and troubleshooting skills.
- Manage a work order system for all work performed.
- Work as business liaison and technical advisor to various departments, assisting with technology solution selection with focus on enterprise use.
- Participate in research, development, and testing to propose appropriate technology.
- Assist with development of best practices and City wide technology policy.
- Manage assigned projects to completion using knowledge of project management principles.
- Purchase technology equipment for department and users through the approved procurement process.
- Subject to on-call assignment to support critical business functions after normal hours and as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The principles of computer programming, systems analysis, design, testing, and documentations.
- The principles and capabilities of computer hardware, software and information technology platforms.
- Information security systems and procedures.
- Computer networking and telecommunications.
- Multiple software applications and operating systems, including, but not limited to: Microsoft Operating Systems (OS), UNIX base OS, various networking protocols, security technology, Storage Area Networks, monitoring tools, various database applications, virtualization software and VoIP systems.
- Multiple hardware components including workstations, servers, wireless, routers, switches, and storage devices.
- The principles of project management.
- Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) processes.
- Skill in operating a variety of standard and specialized software.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data with analytical and problem solving skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to develop and implement processes and procedures to accomplish outcomes.
- Ability to analyze information to determine and recommend new systems or modify existing ones.
- Skill in excellent customer service and providing technology as a service.
- Skill in working within deadlines and prioritize to complete projects and assignments.
- Ability to maintain the highest ethical behavior, exercising honesty and integrity, respect, and confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to utilize project management tools.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, staff, and vendors.
- Ability to prepare and interpret correspondence, policies and procedures, specifications, How-Tos and reports.
- Work is performed indoors in a temperature and humidity controlled setting.
- Requires frequent lifting and/or carrying equipment, frequent walking and standing.
- May require working in dirty, small or cramped places such as under desks, attic space, and/or other areas.
- Requires travel within the city to service equipment at other office locations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Data Communications, Network Engineering, or closely related field.
- SUBSTITUTION: Associate’s Degree in computer networking or related field plus 5 years of experience may be substituted for the required education and minimum experience.
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible work experience in network operations.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Appointment will be conditional upon successful completion of the following pre- employment checks:
- FBI criminal background fingerprint check for Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) standards.
- Possess and maintain a valid Texas Driver’s License and acceptable driving record.
- Certification in CCNA, Microsoft and VMWare.
- Prior experience in a public sector, preferably with a municipality.
*Please complete the General application to apply for this position.*