Lateral Officers

The Rosenberg Police Department is excited to welcome Officers, who already have experience and knowledge to perform the job, to the City of Rosenberg. So you can have a fast and smooth transition from your prior agency to ours, we have made the hiring process easier for applicants who meet qualifications to be considered lateral applicants.


To be considered as a lateral applicant, you must meet the following qualifications:

  • A licensed peace officer with at least two years of previous employment (experience in patrol or investigations) as a peace officer in the State of Texas. 
  • You must be in “good standing” with your agency.
  • There cannot be a breach of service from your current Texas police agency. 

If you meet those requirements, you may be eligible to have the Polygraph Examination and Written Examination waived.


The years of service, knowledge, and experience you bring to the City of Rosenberg is valuable. Although Rosenberg offers one of the highest starting salaries in the Fort Bend County area, we still recognize your past years of service to the community. In most cases, applicants may be compensated at a higher rate than the starting pay rate, based on qualifications and years of service as a Police Officer. This includes applicants who may not be considered a lateral applicant due to a break in service, but still bring years of service and experience.

An applicant with previous experience can estimate to be compensated an additional 2.5% above the starting rate for every two years of service (Up to 10 years of service). See the chart below:

Years of Service
Percentage Increase
Rate Increase
Hourly Salary

Monthly Incentives

In addition to offering a competitive salary, the Rosenberg Police Department offers some of the highest paid monthly incentives in the area. Those incentives are paid on a monthly basis. Incentives can be based on certifications, education, and even foreign language skills. View our Benefits page to learn more about what we offer.

Out of State Police ApplicantsTCOLE logo

For out of state police applicants, we encourage you to visit the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement website for more information on how to obtain  a Texas Certification. Before you are hired, you must be a licensed Texas Peace Officer.


The City of Rosenberg utilizes the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS). TMRS is a statewide retirementTexas Municipal Retirement System system that provides retirement, disability, and death benefits for employees of participating Texas cities. If you would like information about TMRS or have questions about transitioning from you current retirement system to TMRS, contact TMRS
Toll-Free: 800-924-8677

ocal (Austin): 512-476-7577
Fax: 512-476-5576