Rosenberg Fire Department FAQs

How do I find a street that isn’t shown on my map?
The Fire Department maintains a Street Guide at both fire stations, at the administrative offices, and in emergency vehicles. The guide is updated regularly to include streets in new subdivisions, directions, maps, and address ranges. If you are having trouble locating an address, stop in, call, or send an e-mail, and we’ll be glad to help. Please do not use 9-1-1 to get directions. Call the Administrative Office at 832-595-3600.

How do I report a non-emergency incident? Do I still need to call 9-1-1?
Please call 9-1-1 for any type of fire or medical emergency, or for medical non-emergencies. For other types of calls, call the Rosenberg Communications Center at 832-595-3700. Do not call the fire station, as crews are not always at the station. They may be out doing training or at another emergency.

Why am I being billed for my ambulance ride when Fort Bend EMS provided the transport?
Charges for EMS supplies help cover the cost of equipment, supplies, and medicines used before the transfer of care to Fort Bend EMS. Most insurance carriers have a payment for EMS transports built into their plans, which should cover the costs. If you are unable to pay, contact the Fort Bend Patient Account Services at 281-633-7064.

There is a leaking fire hydrant on my street. Who is responsible for repairing it?
Fire hydrant maintenance is the responsibility of the City’s Public Works Department. Please report the problem through Citizen Relations by calling (832) 595-3301 during regular business hours, or by completing the Contact Us Form available here. After office hours or weekends, you may contact the Rosenberg Communications Center at 832-595-3700 to report emergency leaks.

fire-faq-2Why does the City of Rosenberg Fire Department make so much noise when they respond to a call?
State law requires that vehicles responding to an emergency must use both red lights and sirens. We do try to respect the community and the surrounding homes close to both of our fire stations in the early morning hours.

My smoke detector is “chirping”. What should I do?
Generally, a chirping sound means that the battery in your detector needs to be changed. If you would like assistance with a smoke or carbon monoxide detector, please give us a call at 832-595-3600. We’ll be glad to help if we can.

Does the City of Rosenberg Fire Department offer CPR or first aid classes?
No. The local Red Cross provides excellent life saving training. They can be contacted at:

4601 Avenue H Suite 12
Rosenberg, TX 77406
P.O. Box 87
Richmond, Texas 77406-0061 [MAP]
(281) 342-9480
(281) 342-0061
Email: information@ghac.org

Can my teenager complete a few community service hours at the Fire Department?
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer these kinds of services anymore. Without having fire fighters that stay at the station even during emergencies we cannot guarantee the safety of any non-employees in the stations in our absence.

Can I burn some trash or leaves in my yard?
No. A city ordinance prohibits burning trash within the Rosenberg city limits. If you have questions about the ordinance, please contact our fire safety inspectors at 832-595-3600. If you do not live in the City limits and wish to burn trash or leaves the Fort Bend County Fire Marshal does not give approval for outdoor burning. Please contact Texas Commission on Environmental Quality at 713-767-3700, for the rules and regulations regarding outdoor burning. If outdoor burning is approved by TCEQ, call the Fort Bend County Fire Marshal’s Office at 281-341-4665 and the local Fire Department. You should also check the Fort Bend County Fire Marshal’s website to determine if a burn ban is in effect. Do not leave the burn area unattended and make sure the fire is completely extinguished by dark. Be courteous to your neighbors, please do not burn if the smoke is going to drift into their home or cause problems for them.


Most fire fatalities occur between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. – when most people are sleeping. Smoke from a residential fire can quickly kill the occupants. A smoke detector can save those lives.

Is one smoke detector enough?
Generally, several detectors are required to provide full protection. Smoke detectors should be installed on every living level of the home, inside each bedroom, and in the main corridor outside each bedroom area.

Where should I install smoke detectors?
Install a minimum of two detectors even in single level homes. Install a smoke detector in each bedroom as well as the main corridor outside of the bedroom area. Install a smoke detector above stairwells.

Are there other considerations?
Mount smoke detectors in the middle of the ceiling, if possible. If not, mount detectors on the wall, at least three feet from a corner and 4-6 inches from the ceiling. Keep detectors away from fans or air ducts.
Avoid placing the detector too close to kitchen stoves and bathroom showers. Mount basement detectors at the bottom of the basement stairwell.

What type of smoke detectors are there?
There are two basic types of smoke detectors: ionization and photo-electric. Both are effective at detecting fire, yet each has a unique detecting system. Each type of detector comes as AC- operated smoke detectors or battery- powered smoke detectors. Some AC detectors come with a battery back-up system.

How do I maintain my smoke detectors?

  • Test your detectors once a week.
  • Replace the battery in each smoke detector twice a year – use the slogan – “change your clock-change your battery” as a reminder.
  • Never remove the battery unless you are changing batteries.
  • Clean the detectors at least once a year.

What should I do if I hear a smoke detector’s alarm sound?

  • Never ignore the sound.
  • Have an escape plan
  • Feel if the door is hot.
  • Crawl on the floor.
  • Meet at a pre-arranged spot outside the home.
  • Call the fire department from a neighbor’s home.
  • Never go back inside a burning building.

Who do I call to complain about tall weeds, fire hazards or abandoned autos?
These concerns are handled by the City’s Code Enforcement Department and should be reported through Citizen Relations, by calling (832) 595-3301, or completing the Contact Us Form available here.

Do you get cats out of trees/telephone poles/off roofs?
Usually not. Try opening a can of tuna and waiting for the cat to get down on its own. If that doesn’t work, give us a call, and we’ll see what we can do.

Where can I go to get my blood pressure checked?
You can get your blood pressure checked at any fire station.

How can I schedule a fire truck, Sparky the Firedog, or a firefighter at my function?
Call the Rosenberg Fire Department at 832-595-3600 between 8 AM and 5 PM Monday through Friday.

Who do I call about a fire extinguisher that doesn’t work?
Check the Yellow Pages under Fire Extinguishers.

Who do I call to get sand bags?
The Rosenberg Fire Department does not supply sand bags or shovels. Check the Yellow Pages under Rock, or Sand and Gravel.

Why do so many fire apparatus respond to simple incidents?
Fire Department units are dispatched according to information received by the 911 operator. The Rosenberg Fire Department thinks pessimistically when they respond to citizens in need of help. In other words, the firefighters are prepared to deal with the worst that could happen. They are fast, well-trained and pleasant in their response.

A computer selects the closest unit to respond to an incident. The Fire Department’s philosophy is to get our firefighters there as soon as possible. In preparation for the worse-case scenario, an ambulance often is dispatched as well. The first unit on the scene may not be an advanced life support unit (a unit with paramedics). Therefore, such a unit also will be responding.

There may be four Fire Department vehicles on the scene for what appears to be a “simple” incident. However, in emergency services we have learned that if we assume something is “simple,” we can be horribly mistaken. Plus, we respond as fast as we can, prepared to encounter the worst. The winner in these situations will always be the citizen who needs help.

How come I see fire trucks with full lights and sirens go through a red light at intersections and then, after they go through, they turn off their lights and slow down?
As explained in the previous answer, sometimes several units are dispatched to the same incident. The first unit may have arrived on the scene, surveyed the situation and informed the dispatcher that the situation was under control. All other responding units were cancelled and put back into service, ready to take another call.

Most likely, when you see an emergency vehicle go “Code 3” (lights and siren) through an intersection and then slow down and turn the emergency lights off, they have been cancelled from the call they were going on.

Why do I see firefighters cutting holes in the roof of a building on fire?
This is called “venting the roof.” There are two basic reasons for this practice. Dangerous gases and dark smoke accumulate in a burning building. Unlike the movie version of fires, it is impossible for firefighters to see in such an environment. When a hole is made in the roof because the building is “vented,” the smoke and gases escape because heat and smoke rise. It makes it much easier for the firefighters in the building to see. It also reduces the possibilities of backdraft and flashover. Another reason for venting the roof is to see how far the fire has progressed. One of the fastest avenues through which fires spread is the attic. Heat and smoke rise into the attic where the fire can move quickly. Firefighters may go ahead of the fire on a roof, cut holes to access the attic, and stop the fire from spreading through the attic.

How can I become a firefighter?
See firefighter recruitment/career information or call 832-595-3600. Battalion Chief Daryl Maretka can also assist you with any further questions you may have. Lastly, you can visit the Human Resources page.

How do I get a copy of a fire incident report?

Please complete the public-information-request-form-2016 [PDF]. Call 832-595-3340 with questions. Please return the completed form via email to publicinformation@rosenbergtx.gov, via fax to 832-595-3333, or in person to:

City of Rosenberg City Secretary’s Office
2110 4th Street
Rosenberg, Texas 77471