The Ride-Along Program is currently suspended due to the ongoing COVID-19 global pandemic.
The Rosenberg Police Department encourages all potential Police Officer Applicants to take part in our ride-along program. This will give you the applicant, an advantage of observing a Rosenberg Police Officer perform some of the daily duties you may perform in the future and also see and experience the working environment of the Rosenberg Police Department and it’s employees. If you are interested in a ride-along, you first need to submit a request below. You will then be contacted soon after to schedule a date convenient to you and the department.
The Ride-Along Program is available on most days of the week, with certain exceptions established by the supervisor handling the request. Ride-Alongs typically last 5 hours however can last longer depending on the circumstances or with the on-duty supervisor approval. The ride-along times may be approved for any time of the day deemed appropriate by the Chief of Police, or shift supervisors.
Ride-Along Rules and Guidelines
- Submitting a request does not guarantee ride-along approval.
- Persons who have never participated in the Ride-Along Program shall be given preference over those who have.
- Participants shall be limited to two ride-alongs yearly.
- The date and shift requested by the applicant shall be accommodated when possible within preference guidelines.
- Participants must have a valid photo Identification or Driver’s License with them when reporting for their scheduled ride-along.
- Wear neat, clean, appropriate clothing. Shorts, sweat suits or jogging suits, tank tops, halter tops, or clothing which is torn, soiled or displays offensive language or symbols shall not be allowed.
- Participants shall be considered observers only, and shall be under the direct supervision of the assigned officer during the ride-along.
- Participants shall conduct themselves in a civil and courteous manner at all times.
- Participants must wear their seat belts at all times while in the patrol car.
- Participants must remain in the patrol car unless instructed to leave by an officer.
- In the case of a potentially dangerous or hazardous call, participants may be dropped off at a safe location. If this occurs, the officer will give the participant specific instructions and arrange for transportation from another officer. Please note that this is for the rider’s safety.
- Participants must not become involved in any incident the officer is handling. This includes discussions of an incident with victims, witnesses, or suspects.
- Participants will not be allowed to take cameras, any weapons or firearms, tape recorders or other recording devices without prior approval from the Chief of Police or his designee for the ride-along.
- Any participant exhibiting signs of drug and/or alcohol influence will be denied approval to ride-along.
- Participants shall be advised that they may witness a criminal act or arrest, which may require their presence in court.
- For security and safety reasons, participants are not allowed to handle or use any of the officer’s equipment or the equipment in the patrol vehicle.
- All Ride-along applicants are subject to a criminal history check.
- All participants in the Ride-Along Program must read, agree, and abide by all rules and guidelines and complete the Ride-Along Waiver of Liability prior to the ride-along.
- Failure to comply with any of the above listed rules and guidelines will result in the immediate termination of the ride-along.